Finally, I’m going to share my wedding cake recipes with you. I only actually got a photo of the fruit cake uniced but the sponge looked amazing (and really tall!!!) and they all tasted great!
I had them decorated by a professional with vegan regal ice, which she also made some flower and petal decorations from.
Here we are about to cut the cake!
Bottom layer: 11” Parkin
12oz margarine (vitalite)
12oz black treacle
12oz golden syrup
24oz self-raising flour
24oz medium oatmeal
2 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons ground ginger
2 tablespoon mixed spice
360ml soya milk
1. Grease 11” round cake tin and preheat the oven to 160’C
2. Put margarine, treacle and syrup in a saucepan and melt over a low heat
3. Combine all the dry ingredients
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, adding soya milk/water if necessary for a fairly wet cake batter. Mix well.
5. Pour into prepared tin and bake at 160’C for an hour to an hour and a half until firm and brown and a skewer comes out clean when inserted.
Middle layer: 9” fruitcake
sherry or brandy (optional)
3oz glace cherries (chopped)1oz mixed peel (chopped finely)
24oz self-raising flour
12oz soft brown sugar
1 pint soya milk
5 oz / 70g vegan margarine
finely grated rind of 1 lemon
2 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp mixed spice
- Soak currants, sultanas and raisins in brandy or sherry for a few hours (optional step)
- Sift flour, salt and spices into a large mixing bowl and rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the sugar, soaked dried fruit and lemon zest
- Mix in all but 3 tbsp of soya milk and mix well
- Warm the 3 tbsp soya milk until about 60’C (not boiling but fairly hot) and mix in the bicarbonate of soda. It will fizz up. Quickly mix into the batter.
- Pour into prepared 9” round tin and bake in the oven at 180’C for an hour, then turn down to 155’C for another hour. Once cooked the cake should be brown and firm and a skewer should come out clean when inserted.
I decided to go with a different sponge recipe as mine is often a bit crumbly. This one is denser and moister and I think it carved well.
7″ sponge cake
9oz vegan margarine
9oz caster sugar
1lb 2oz self-raising flour
6 tsp baking powder
1 x 500ml tub plain or vanilla vegan yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a saucepan, melt the margarine and sugar until melted. Allow to cool slightly.
2. Sieve flour and baking powder and salt into a bowl. Pour in the margarine/sugar mixture, yoghurt and vanilla extract and mix well.
3. Spoon cake mix into 2 prepared 7” round tins and bake at 180’C for about 40 minutes or until risen and golden. A skewer should come out clean when inserted.
4. Allow to cool and sandwich together with raspberry jam and vegan buttercream (I creamed vitalite with icing sugar for this)